Ever Green Legend Dev Anand: Facts on his Life, Films, Songs, Awards and Tragic Death
Its none less than End Of An Era: Legendary Film Actor Dev Anand passes away.
Dev Anand, the 'Evergreen Legend of Indian cinema passed away here last night in London following cardiac arrest, at the age of 88.
Dev Anand had come to London for medical check up and was not keeping well for the last few days. His son Sunil was with him when he breathed last.
Some facts about his illustrated life Facts, Films, Awards, Death:
- Dev Anand has played lead actor for more than five decades in over 110 motion pictures
- Dev Anand embarked on his career as a Film Actor in the mid-forties
- Dev Anand is known as the ‘Evergreen Legend’ of Indian Cinema.
- Dev Anand is known for his eternal youthful by his remarkable ability to live always in the present and the future–never in the past.
- Dev Anand was born on 26th September, 1923 in Gurdaspur, Punjab.
- He was married to Spouse: Kalpana Kartik born in 1954
- Dev Anand's debut film was Hum Ek Hain (1946).
- His major impact film was Ziddi (1948). Other successful films: Baazi (1951), Jaal (1952), Rahee (1953), Aandhiyan (1952), Taxi Driver (1954), Munimji (1955), C.I.D. (1956), Paying Guest (1957), Kala Pani (1958), Guide (1965), Jewel Thief (1967), Johnny Mera Naam (1970), Hare Rama Hare Krishna (1971), Tere Mere Sapne (1971), Des Pardes (1978).
- Dev Anand had one Filmfare Best Actor Award twice. For his outstanding contribution to Indian cinema, Dev Anand was honoured with the prestigious the 'Padma Bhushan' in 2001 and 'Dada Saheb Phalke Award' in 2002.
- Dev Anand was born named Devdutt on September 26, 1923, in the Punjabi-speaking Anand family
- He was son to Advocate Pishorimal, younger and older brother to Chetan and Vijay respectively and one sister, Sheel Kanta, who was subsequently married in the Kapur family, and gave birth to actor/film-maker, Shekhar Kapur, two daughters, Neelu, who was married to actor Navin Nischol, and Aruna who was the wife of Ajay/Parikshat Sahni, son of renowned Balraj Sahni. Both Neelu and Aruna have since been divorced. Dev graduated from Government College, Lahore, British India, left his hometown to work in the Military Censor Office at Churchgate, Bombay.
- He was uncle of Ketan Anand
- His son's name is Suneil Anand
- Dev Anand formed a popular screen couple with Nutan Behl.
- The Anand family founded Navketan Films which is still active and being administered by Dev’s son, Suneil. The film production company 'Navketan International Films' which was established in 1949 and has produced more than 35 movies.
- Not easily intimidated, Dev Anand, Shatrughan Sinha, Inder Sen Johar, Kishore Kumar were amongst the few that actually stood up against the authoritarian regime of Indira Gandhi during the Emergency, while many in the opposition preferred to flee India to escape Mrs. Gandhi’s wrath.
- Mona or Kalpana Kartik was a college beauty queen from Simla, and she starred opposite her to-be-husband, Dev Anand, in all her movies. Both became parents in 1956 when Suneil was born.
- He is perhaps one of the few who dreamed of starlet Snehprabha Pradhan and had his dream come true when he got to not only meet her but also act with her.
- His other dream was of owning a car, a Hillman, was also fulfilled.
Some Famous Songs featuring Dev Anand: