Tumblr Growth Statistics & Trends: Users & Usage
Tumblr has hit a major milestone — 20 billion posts — a huge increase from the 12 billion posts figure it reached in November 2011.
- Currently, the number sits at more than 20 billion posts, 51 million of which were created just today !
- Tumblr currently has more than 49.7 million total blogs and is due to hit the 50 million milestone any day now.
- In June 2011, Tumblr announced it had more blogs than WordPress.com — more than 20 million. It took less than nine months for Tumblr to double that number.
- For comparison, WordPress powers more than 72 million blogs, about half of which are hosted on WordPress.com.
- The simplicity and ease of use of Tumblr on one hand and similarity to microblogging services such as Twitter on the other, have apparently hit the right spot with a large number of users.
- One thing Tumblr still lacks is a viable business plan — despite significant funding.
After an explosive 2011, Tumblr is rolling full steam into the new year with impressive numbers that highlight the microblogging platform’s continue growth:
- 15 billion monthly pageviews
- 120 million monthly unique visitors.
- Last time Tumblr unleashed figures was in September when monthly pageviews hovered around 13 billion, up from 2 billion at the beginning of 2011, reflecting a 218% year-over-year increase.
- To put the stats into perspective, WordPress.com blogs attract roughly 316 million people internationally who view 2.5 billion pages each month, while Reddit’s almost 35 million monthly unique visitors check out 2 billion pages. Facebook reportedly surpassed 1 trillion monthly pageviews in in mid-2011.
- When looking at U.S. stats alone, however, WordPress.com sites trumped Tumblr blogs on average each month in 2011: 20.4 million vs. 10.9 million pageviews.
- Tumblr, which launched in 2007, wants to give a much more deliberate international effort in reaching the audience outside of the U.S. in 2012
- Tumblr will spend more time with the foreign press and pay more attention to local markets.
- Right now, about 40% to 45% of Tumblr’s users reside in the U.S.
Tumblr Growth Statistics & Trends: Users & Usage: In four short years, Tumblr has grown from relative obscurity to start-up darling to international microblogging network.
- The platform has grown a staggering 900% in the past year
- Tumbr has eclipsed platform competitor WordPress, largely due to its global reach and brand-building potential.
- Tumblr’s users are extremely loyal — with 2% of users making up 43% of total visits — and they log in from all over the world.