Google's Motorola Acquisition: A $ 12.5 Billion Buy
In one of the most significant and unusual latest acquisision / buys, Google has announced that it will acquire Motorola Mobility for $12.5 billion.
- Motorola is one of 39 manufacturers of handsets that use Google’s Android operating system.
- Buying a hardware company is an unusual move for Google.
- According to Google, this will enable Google to supercharge the Android ecosystem.
- In addition to citing Motorola’s home devices and video solutions business, Google's Larry Page references recent patent wars that Google believes to be anti-competitive. Acquisition of Motorola will increase competition by strengthening Google’s patent portfolio, which will enable better protect Android from anti-competitive threats from Microsoft, Apple and other companies.
- Android will continue to be an open platform, and Motorola will continue to be run as a separate business