Friendship Day Facts: History, Quotes, Messages for Friendship Day
First & Foremost - A Happy Friendship Day to you !
The first Sunday of August is celebrated as the friendship day globally. But its strange that while everyone celebrates the friendhip day with full vigour and enthusiasm, not many know the significance and history of the friendhip day. The following lays for you history and facts about the friendship day and some good ideas for friendship day quotes and messages for you to use this Friendship Day.
Friendship day History
- The tradition of celebrating Friendship Day began in 1935 when the US Congress decided to dedicate a day in the honor of friends.
- With the devastating effects of the First World War still showing and increasing hostilities, mistrust and hatred between countries providing the perfect conditions for another imminent battle, there was a greater need for friendship not only among nations but also among individuals.
- The US Congress decided to designate the first Sunday of the month of August as Friendship Day and with a formal proclamation in 1935, officially declared the occasion a holiday dedicated in the honour of friends and friendship
- Since then, celebration of National Friendship Day became an annual event.
- The lofty idea of honoring the beautiful relationship of friendship caught on with the people, particularly the youngsters all over the country, and in no time Friendship Day became a highly popular festival.
- With time, several other countries followed suit in adopting the tradition of dedicating a day to the cause of friendship.
- With more and more nations joining in the celebrations, Friendship Day soon became International Friendship Day.
Friendship Day interesting facts
- Friendship Day is enthusiastically celebrated every year by many countries.
- The occasion is observed on the first Sunday of every August.
- The traditional celebrations include meeting with friends and exchanging of cards, flowers and gifts.
- Many social and cultural organizations also celebrate Friendship Day by hosting programs and get togethers.
- Special performances by rock bands are also organized in countries like the US to enhance the jubilations.
- In 1997, the United Nations named Winnie - the Pooh, the famous cartoon character as the world's Ambassador of Friendship.
- It is interesting to note how some associations observe Friendship Day with different customs, by giving the festival different names and holding it in times unlike that of the actual festival. For example, National Friendship Day is held on the first Sunday in August; Women's Friendship Day is on the third Sunday in August; the third week of May is the Old Friends, New Friends Week and the whole of February is designated as the International Friendship Month.
Business and commercialization of Friendship Day
These days, Friendship Day is celebrated with a lot of fanfare and great expenses. Just as in US and several other countries, the festival has been greatly commercialized.
- Days before the festival, card and gift companies launch an extensive campaign to lure people into buying cards and gift items for their friends.
- Companies indulge in aggressive marketing to target youngsters, the main celebrators of festivals as these, and entice them into purchasing expensive articles for their pals.
- Restaurateurs too offer special discounts to make the most of the time. This marketing strategy has been severely criticized by many people and is a subject of debate every year
- Many feel that such rampant commercialization has marred the very concept of Friendship Day and has turned it into a mere formality.
- Many on the other hand think that greater hype and hoopla around the occasion has helped to generate awareness about Friendship Day festival which was till recently a low-key affair (compared to occasions as "Mother's Day" and "Father's Day") and thus promote friendship and brotherhood.
Friendship Day Celebration & Customs
- The popular customs of Friendship Day includes handing over roses, especially the pink and yellow ones.
- The day is observed with great exhilaration and merriment, with friends throwing parties, gorging on lip-smacking dishes and drinking hard (be it at home or at restaurants that offer special discounts for this occasion).
- A highly popular thing associated with the day is the well-known Friendship Band - the modern day token of friendship that friends gift to one another to form an everlasting bond.
- Friendship bands are favorite items for youngsters and are available in stores all over the country.
- Girls go in for friendship bracelets instead of the conventional friendship wristbands.
- Friendship Poems and Friendship Day Gifts are exchanged between best friends to renew the bond of friendship and express gratitude and love for each other.
Ideas for Friendship Day Quotes / Messages
"Your friend is the man who knows all about you, and still likes you."
"True friendship is like sound health; the value of it is seldom known until it be lost."
"Each friend represents a world in us, a world possibly not born until they arrive, and it is only by this meeting that a new world is born."
"My friends are my estate."
"A real friend is one who walks in when the rest of the world walks out."
"A friend is someone who is there for you when he'd rather be anywhere else."
"A friend is someone who knows the song in your heart, and can sing it back to you when you have forgotten the words."
"A friend is one who believes in you when you have ceased to believe in yourself."
"Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.
Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.
Walk beside me and be my friend."
"A hug is worth a thousand words. A friend is worth more."
"Everyone is a friend, until they prove otherwise."
"Every person is a new door to a different world."
"It takes a long time to grow an old friend."
"I get by with a little help from my friends."
"Anybody can sympathise with the sufferings of a friend, but it requires a very fine nature to sympathise with a friend's success."
"Two are better than one; because they have a good reward for their labour. For if they fall, the one will lift up his fellow: but woe to him that is alone when he falleth; for he hath not another to help him up."
"Two may talk together under the same roof for many years, yet never really meet; and two others at first speech are old friends."
"Friendship is unnecessary, like philosophy, like art... It has no survival value; rather is one of those things that give value to survival."
"I might give my life for my friend, but he had better not ask me to do up a parcel."
"Friends are the most important ingredient in this recipe of life."
"The better part of one's life consists of his friendships."
"The love of my life is the love between friends."
"One's best friend is oneself."
"A Friend is someone who knows all about you and loves you anyway!!!"
"To be depressed is to be lonely; to have a friend is to be happy..."
Friendship is like a perennial river which flows forever. It may change it's path but will never ever dry up.