Social Media Networks Usage: Geographic trends
Vincenzo Cosenza creates a “world map of social networks”, showing the dominant social networks by country, based on traffic data gathered from Alexa and Google Trends for Websites. According to this:
- Facebook is now the ‘leader’ in 119 out of 134 countries
- Since the last update of the world map, Facebook has conquered countries like Syria and Iran, despite struggles against government censorship.
- According to data from Facebook’s Ads Platform, Europe is now the largest continent on the network with more than 205 million users (out of roughly 700 million in total).
- Cosenza posits that The Netherlands and Brazil will be the next countries to “surrender” to Facebook’s steamroll (it’s already happening, in fact).
- Meanwhile in Russia, Odnoklassniki seems to be putting on a good fight against VKontakte.
- Twitter and LinkedIn appear to be on the rise in the United States, Canada Australia and big parts of Europe (UK, France and Germany in particular).