Video Discovery App Shufflr.tv Launched
Bangalore based technology start-up Althea Systems has launched Shufflr.tv. Shufflr.tv is a set of web and native apps that facilitate discovery of videos on the internet and give a social element to them by enabling discussions through social networks like Twitter
- Users can discover videos shared by celebrities and friends, and talk about it online on the same page via Twitter.
- Shuffr.tv divides videos in Categories like Music, Shortfilms, Howto, Tech, Auto, Sports among others, and into social channels such as blogs, movies, fashion, authors, politics and others. Users can choose to get video feeds from any of these channels once they log-in to the website, in addition to video feeds from their twitter friends(users they follow), recommended videos, videos creating buzz and videos with discussions.
- The service also allows viewers to queue videos for later viewing.
- Shufflr.tv also features a bookmarklet - Instapaper, that lets users queue videos to their Shufflr.tv account from their browser if they wish to watch later.
- The web app can be accessed by going to the Shufflr.tv URL on any connected device
- Android app can be downloaded through the Android Market.
- A desktop app based on the Adobe Air platform is also available.
- Its iOS apps are awaiting Apple’s approval.
It is notable that Althea had raised $3 million from Intel Capital, and had inked content deals with NDTV, Reuters, CNBC-TV18, BigFlix in India, the BBC and MSNBC in the UK, and also with Brightcove which aggregates a large number of content providers. It had initially launched the service as a desktop video browser on Adobe Air platform.