AOL & Google's New Instant Messaging Partnership
AOL and Google's instant messaging partnership is at new heights now. This comes via complete interoperability among AIM, Gmail and Google Talk.
- AIM users can now send messages to their Google contacts and vice versa. This will allow AIM users to IM a friend that uses AIM via Google Talk, Gmail, iGoogle, Orkut or any other Gtalk client.
- Gmail users will now see a prompt asking them to add their AIM buddies directly to Gtalk. Users will have to add @aol.com to the end of the AIM contact they are trying to add to make it work
- AOL and Google have tens of millions of instant messenging users each and combining user bases makes both chat platforms far more useful,
In addition to growing userbase, this will also keep them ahead of competition from
- Facebook, whose FbChat service is rapidly growing in popularity
- Skype, which has more than 500 million users and is now owned by Microsoft.