Wikipedia's Indian Office Plans
Wikipedia, the fifth largest website in the world and the largest non-profit website, will be setting up an office in India in the next six months. Wikimedia Foundation India will be only Wikimedia’s second office after the first one in San Francisco that was set up in 2005. What is so important about India ?
- There is a lot of excitement in India about the Internet.
- With so many languages, India poses a lot of opportunities.
- Wikipedia already has a very successful local community in India and wants to strengthen it
- There are already 20 Indian language Wikipedias with 200 administrators. But they want to strengthen its Indian language base and increase the number and depth of articles.
- The Wikipedia goal is to have 2.5 lakh articles for every language that is spoken by more than one million people.