Online shopping - Recession statistics
A recent Penn, Schoen & Berland Associates survey finds 26 percent of consumers saying they'll shop more online if their personal financial situation worsens in the coming year. These so-called "recession shoppers" aren't just buying online to save shoe leather and tire treads. They're hunting for rock-bottom prices, deep discounts and solid deals. Most of all, recession shoppers love coupons.
- 68% of "recession shoppers" (and 79% of "weekly shoppers") purchased something online they wouldn't have otherwise because of a coupon or discount.
- 64% of "recession shoppers" (and 70% of "weekly shoppers") said they purchased something from a particular online retailer they wouldn't have otherwise because of a coupon or discount.
- 74% of online shoppers receive e-mail alerts from their favorite retailers
- Recession shoppers are 17 points more likely to research products or services online several times a week than average users
- Consumers - 34 year olds make more online purchases every month than any other age group
- 34% of those surveyed plan buy more online in 2009 than they did last year