Internet marketing Dubai UAE
By Vaibhav Agarwal
Internet usage and prospects in UAE
A survey involving UAE internet users, conducted by the Arab Advisors Group in August, 2007 revealed:
1. Over the past 12 months, 51.2 per cent of Internet users in the UAE purchased products and services online or through mobile phones.
2. Consumers have spent over US$ 1.15 billion over the past 12 months.
3. E-commerce users in the UAE are estimated to exceed 1.16 million
The survey consists of 1,108 respondents who were questioned through an online questionnaire. The survey included both genders and all age groups across the UAE. The survey yielded a 99% confidence level and less than 3% margin of error.
It is important for internet marketing professionals to know the demographics of the internet users:
- As per the result in the recent survey, while females constitute a minority in the general population calculated at 28 per cent, they are nevertheless 29 per cent of the internet population.
- Men, although the more dominant gender in population statistics at 72 per cent, were found to be 71 per cent of the internet population.
Another important variable to be considered by Internet marketing professionals is the age of the internet users:
- The internet is primarily used by the youth with 36 per cent of the users ranging in age from 21 to 30 years despite being only 32 per cent of the population.
- The age bracket for 31 to 40 year olds, despite being 34 per cent of the general population, was calculated to be 35 per cent of the internet population.
- As common in most countries, the 40 plus age group shows a smaller percentage of internet penetration.
- Despite being 26 per cent of the general population, they were calculated to be only 19 per cent of the internet population.
Internet marketing professionals should also consider the nationalities of the users in UAE, in any internet marketing initiative, since it is an unusually diverse market:
- The UAE nationals count for only 17 per cent of the general population and expatriates for 83 per cent, nevertheless, nationals are calculated to be 18 per cent of the internet population.
It is also important for internet marketing professionals to know from what facilities internet is being accessed by the internet users in Dubai / UAE:
- Schools and colleges were five per cent
- Cyber cafés were three per cent.
- The dominant location to use the internet seemed to be at home with 55 per cent using it at home.
- 44 per cent using it in the office.
Understanding the purpose of usage of internet may also help internet marketing professionals in Dubai / UAE to draft their internet marketing strategies:
- As per the survey, 83 per cent people use the web for e-mails
- 76 per cent for searching for information
- 43 per cent for chatting
- 39 per cent for doing business
- 29 per cent had used the internet for online purchase of airline tickets – often found to be cheaper online.